This time of year, it is so easy for us to find ourselves pushed to our limits by whatever our individual circumstances may require. Two supplements that have made a a huge difference for many patients, my family and myself included are Opti Biotic & Inner Defense. If you are interested in why these products work so well and how we can specifically support our immune system, then keep reading. If not just scroll down to the photos below to see what you need now to significantly increase your odds of staying well through the holidays and beyond.
Now for those purists out there who want to know the “hows” and “whys” here we go…
Our immune system, granted, is very complex but fascinating. Below I have simplified the main methods of which supplements and nutrients protect us and restore our sense of comfort and wellbeing. First, you will be exposed, a little or a lot, to both viruses and bacteria this winter. Make sure to minimize your vulnerabilities when you are exposed by following the 5 recommendations below. Some of the most important factors are “common sense” habits that can be easily overlooked this time of year but can make all the difference.
1. DRINK WATER – Stay well hydrated with safe filtered water. I mean, really well hydrated, with water not alcohol. Remember alcohol is dehydrating so drink even more water or tea along with your cocktail. Your minimum daily goal is half your body weight in ounces. So, if you weigh 130 lbs. you need a minimum of 65oz/day barring no caffeinated beverages which are also dehydrating. The absolute best water filtration unit available is Multipure and shown below. (Available through our office.)
2. KEEP MOVING – 15 – 20 min /day of some activity that gets your blood and lymph circulating and boosts immune defenses.
3. LAUGH – Humor really is the best and most profound medicine. The endorphins that begin circulating with laughter are scientifically proven. You will feel the difference right away. Leave your anxieties and To-Do lists aside for a few moments or longer every day. Go look up some funny pins online if nothing else, it’s a great way to lighten your day.
4. SLEEP – Get at least 8 hours /night allowing crucial cell regeneration and growth hormones to peak. Rest is your one of the most the imperative factors in maintaining or regaining the ability to withstand stress. Sleep is even anti-inflammatory!
5. GRATITUDE – Make it a point to remember the people and things that you are most grateful. It is impossible to be both miserable and grateful at the same time.
Now on to the 3 ways immune supplements help.
1. Restore & protect from potential nutrient deficiencies like vitamins and minerals that are crucial aids in multiple immune protective reactions to keep our defenses intact. A great example is Vitamin A, B vitamins, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, bioflavonoids. These work synergistically to maintain our healthy gut and respiratory mucosal membranes, which are our barriers from the outside world.
2. Support immune balance of TH1 & TH2. Herbs like Echinacea, which are anti-microbial as well as known to support a timely coordinated response of a team of immune cells, which work together to effectively find and destroy bacterial and viral invaders.
3. The antimicrobial effects of highly volatile substances found in essential oils are like bringing in reinforcements for our immune fighting cells. When our immune cells get overwhelmed by sheer numbers of bacteria or viruses either due to a huge exposure from sharing air and close contact with coughing, sneezing, fatigued people in an airplane or because we have failed to pay attention to the first list above.
That’s it for now. I sincerely hope you put these recommendations to use as they can make all the difference in your world.
Thank you for letting all of us at Sunlight Natural Health be a important part of your wellness strategy.