Karen Shavin, LMT is a licensed massage therapist who offers custom massage utilizing Swedish, deep tissue, myofascial release, craniosacral therapy, and energetic techniques to help reduce stress, promote relaxation and relieve muscular pain.
Karen has worked with people with many different conditions, including:
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Diverticulitis and other digestive system disorders
- Emotional trauma
- Injury from car accidents, falls, or other
- Low back pain
- Menstrual cramps
- Migraine and tension headaches
- Numbness and tingling in arms, hands, legs, and feet
- Pain (especially low back, neck, shoulder, and foot pain)
- Post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD)
- Post surgery
- Sinus problems
- Stress and tension
- TMJ (jaw pain, face pain, and dental trauma)
- Tinnitus (ringing of the ears)
- Urinary tract infection
Aromatherapy has been practiced since ancient times, dating back at least 5,000 years. Experts claim that the ancient Egyptians were the first to practice aromatherapy. They recognized the physical and spiritual properties of these essential oils and used them in their daily lives. Aromatherapy was reintroduced in the 20th century in France. Today, more than a thousand doctors in France use aromatherapy in their practice.
Essential oils can be anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal. They are powerful antioxidants. Their molecules are so small that they quickly penetrate the skin tissues and can affect every cell in the body in 20 minutes.
The needs of each individual guide the selection of the oils, which are a powerful healing catalyst. They may help deepen the process of Self-discovery, draw toxins from the body, balance emotions and hormones, stimulate the immune system, and relieve stress. These oils also help increase oxygen and boost the immune system. Overall, they bring a greater feeling of well being.
Craniosacral therapy is a gentle method of assessing and correcting imbalances in the functioning of the craniosacral system. Restrictions within this system can cause any number of sensory, motor, or neurological dysfunctions. With a very light touch attuned to the ebb and flow of the cerebral spinal fluid, the craniosacral system is assisted in removing restrictions and strengthening the body’s ability to heal and balance itself. This can result in less pain and stress, along with more energy and mental clarity and a deeper sense of inner calm.
Craniosacral Therapy supports:
- Neurological functions of the body
- Release of long-stored emotions and trauma
- Reduction stress and anxiety
- Mind and body connection
- Elimination of pain
- Increase in mobility
- Recovery from physical, emotional, or mental injury or abuse
- Resistance to disease and stress
- Balance and calmness
- Overall health
If one chooses, massage therapy can be combined with other modalities listed to release muscle tension, to improve blood and lymph circulation, and to increase mind-body awareness.
Many unresolved, long-term symptoms have a close and essential relationship with the mind that may not be apparent. Often this mind-body link must be given attention in order for the symptoms to clear up completely and permanently. SomatoEmotional Release, an aspect of Craniosacral Therapy, is an effective and gentle way to work with problems that have this mind-body link. The term SomatoEmotional is another way to say mind-body. Emotional refers to the mind and somato means muscle (body). With a client’s permission SomatoEmotional Release can be seamlessly incorporated into the body therapy and be tailored to the client’s comfort and sensitivity needs.
A safe space is created specifically with the intention of allowing the body to let go of any emotions or cellular memories that it does not need any more. This process is gentle and compassionate, respecting that traumatic memories do not need to be relived in order to heal from them. Through this emotional release the body is then able to focus its resources on healing, creating mental and emotional clarity and a stronger sense of well being.
SomatoEmotional Release helps balance emotions as well as:
- Reduce mental anxiety and emotional stress
- Resolve depression, anxiety, or self-esteem issues
- Release long-stored emotions and trauma
- Recover from emotional or mental injury or abuse
- Relieve fear and anger
- Provide mental clarity, balance, and centeredness
- Connect with self
- Improve sleep
Reiki means Universal Healing Energy. It is one of the world’s greatest healing arts. In a full Reiki session, Reiki is administered with clothes on, as Reiki passes through all fibers. Hands are placed gently on parts of the body from the head to the feet. Reiki is always safe and works at the root cause. It has been known to reduce stress and accelerate the healing process. Reiki may be used during any of the other healing modalities.
Our ancestors have known benefits of stimulating the feet for healing purposes for at least 5,000 years. By applying pressure to points on the feet, internal organs and entire systems of the body may be supported to adjust and come into balance.
According to this ancient approach, your feet are like a map of every major organ and part of the body. When pressure is applied to specific points on your feet, positive changes occur in the corresponding parts of the body.
Reflexology may be included in all sessions. A full reflexology session can begin with soaking the feet in warm water and essential oils, then lying on the table for the treatment.
Lymphatic Drainage Therapy
Lymph Drainage Therapy (LDT) is a gentle technique that supports the lymphatic system, one of the body’s most important systems. The lymphatic system detoxifies and regenerates our body’s tissues, filters out toxins and foreign substances, and maintains a healthy immune system. By re-circulating body fluids, clearing stagnant areas between the cells, LDT stimulates optimal function of the immune system and promotes a state of relaxation and balance in the autonomic nervous system. Results may include:
- Reduction in edema (swelling)
- Detoxification of the body
- Improved recovery from joint replacement surgeries
- Reduced pain and swelling during recovery from plastic surgeries such as tummy tucks, breast augmentation or reductions, facial surgeries, liposuction
- Relief from sinus infections
- Regeneration of tissues from burns or scarring
- Pre- and post-surgery support
- Anti-aging effects
- Relief of chronic inflammation and conditions such as acne, rosacea, eczema and allergies
- Immune system stimulation for preventive and therapeutic effects
- Reduction in the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia
- Relief of chronic pain
- Deep relaxation, including relief from insomnia, depression, stress, loss of vitality and loss of memory
LDT sessions are similar to massage therapy. The client is fully draped on a massage table. A gentle touch is used to stimulate the flow of lymph and open pathways. The length of the session will depend on the condition it is intended to address. It can range from about 45 minutes to over two hours for a full-body treatment. Generally multiple sessions are needed for best results.